San Diego schools are closed for the end of 2021, so I’m taking our children to Mission Trails Regional Park to do the 5 Peak Challenge next week. Although the official challenge – including a printed certificate and official pin – ended 6/26/2020 the peaks, trails, and park remain open. The official website has some great stories of the various individuals and groups that did the 5 Peak Challenge.
To complete the 5 Peak Challenge with kids, I’m breaking it up into 3 separate sections, each with a different starting point. If you are looking to get out of the house next week and would like to join – with or without kids – please do! Following is the game plan and all are welcome to join.
- General Notes
- Each day we’ll start hiking at 8:45 AM, arrive around 8:30 AM
- Bring water, snacks, hiking shoes, etc.
- Check out the approximate hike lengths, times, and elevation gains below
- Monday, 12/20/2021 – North Fortuna and South Fortuna
- Starting Point: Portobelo Entrance (West Side of MTRP, just south of 52)
- Hike details: 5.5 miles, 1,204 feet of elevation gain
- Tuesday, 12/21/2021 – Cowles Mountain and Pyles Peak
- Starting point: Cowles Mountain Trailhead (7001 Golfcrest Drive)
- Hike details: 5.7 miles, 1,736 feet of elevation gain
- Wednesday, 12/22/2021 – Kwaay Paay
- Starting point: Parking lot on Father Junipero Serra Trail near Old Mission Dam
- Hike details: 3.0 miles, 892 feet of elevation gain
Hope to see you and if not, enjoy the Winter Break!