Friends and Family,
In 2008, an insane tradition was born in the form of a New Year’s Resolution / Fitness Challenge. Most of you have participated throughout the years, but for any newcomers, here’s a recap of the various challenges:
- 2008 – 8 minute abs every day
- 2009 – 1 mile run every day
- 2010 – The Infamous Push-Up Challenge (1 additional push-up every day)
- 2011 – Choose your Daily Workout! (20 minutes of running, 15 minutes of jumping rope, or 30 minutes of riding a bicycle)
- 2012 – The Daily Nutrition Challenge (1 fruit + 1 vegetable + no deep fried foods)
- 2013 – Choose your Daily Workout! (200 Pushups, 2 Miles Running, 400 Crunches, 4000 Meters Rowing, 600 Jumping Jacks, or 6 Miles Biking)
- 2014 – 20 minutes of continuous workout each day
- 2015 – no challenge / lack of interest / the year which shall not be mentioned
With 2016 nearly upon us, there’s still time to assemble a group of like-minded (crazy) fitness junkies. For the 2016 Challenge, I’m proposing a workout that takes us back to the first two years of the challenge. A ‘Return to our Roots’ workout:
- Complete an 8 minute ab workout OR Run 1 Mile every day. (A suggested 8 minute ab workout is included via youtube link at bottom, but 8 minutes of planking or a similar core workout are also acceptable. The 1 Mile run is pretty self-explanatory, and can be completed inside, outside, in an airport, in another country, or on a boat.)
- Takes less than 10 minutes to complete (assuming you can run a 10 minute mile)
- Doesn’t require any gear / gym membership / additional purchases
What’s in it for me?
Besides toning up your core muscles and getting in better running shape, there’s a monetary incentive to the challenge each year. $20 per person goes into the pot, and the ‘last man standing’ wins the money. If there are multiple winners on 12/31/2016 (or sooner, depending on when the final participants drop out), the winners split the pot.
How do I sign up?
Great! I’m glad you asked. To sign up, simply send an email with your ‘verbal commitment.’ Then send in $20 – email for details.
Other important details:
- The Challenge begins on January 1, 2016 (aka this FRIDAY).
- You have 24 hours (from midnight to midnight) to complete the daily requirement.
- This operates on the honor system. If you fail to run/do your abs within 24 hours of the day, you must email the group (or at least the organizer!) to let us know.
- Feel free to invite others! Mo’ participants = mo’ money in the pot.
I think that covers the essentials. I know it’s a bit daunting to commit to a whole year of daily workouts, but half of the fun lies in taunting and shit-talking with your friends and family. Besides, even if you successfully complete even 3 months of working out, isn’t that worth the $20 commitment?
Invite your kids, invite your wives.
Go ahead and bookmark this page so you can watch this amazing video daily. Come on gang, you’re almost there!